Our purpose is for all young people to reach their full potential. We believe that young people, at their full potential, are central to a thriving community. Young people contribute to our local community and wider society, and we see them as our future. GYS is committed to supporting them to be the best they can be, now and in the future.
In order to achieve this purpose, we need to see young people who are:
- Healthy, safe, skilled, and confident
- Connected to community
- Taking up livelihood responsibilities
Our vision is for a thriving Glebe Community...a place where people of all backgrounds, ages and economic status have opportunities to fully participate in a civic life. A place where diversity and social justice are valued and actioned through a wide range of community offerings.
Positivity I Partnerships I Perseverance I Community
Our work can be challenging, so it is imperative we stay positive, persevere and collaborate with our partners to best work with our community.
- To provide community services for young people to reduce the effects of being disadvantaged.
- To assist individuals and groups of young people to access appropriate resources effectively and take action to meet their needs.
- To encourage youth to participate in planning and developing all activities of GYS.
- To inform, educate and resource the local community about young people and their issues and concerns with a view to build community support for, and participation in, initiatives to improve quality of life for young people.
- To develop formal and informal networks with government/non-government NGO agencies in the metropolitan area for the purpose of developing and implementing strategies in the local community to assist young people who are disadvantaged.
- To support and work with a range of organisations, workers and decision makers to assist in the co-ordination of services to young people at risk of poverty, sickness, suffering distress, misfortune, disability or helplessness.
To provide a safe and responsive environment to young people who live, play and work in the Glebe area through a range of services and programs, where they are supported by trained and professional staff.
We aim to provide young people with opportunities to socialise and develop knowledge and skills in a safe and supportive environment.
We encourage and promote mutual respect, acceptance of everyone’s rights and responsibilities, positive and healthy life choices, as well as opportunities to socialise and allow young people to develop their full potential.